Sunday, July 3, 2011

The distance..

It is funny how a person, despite being so close to you, seems to be so far away. Whereas, a person who is at a distance that you know will never shorten, seems to be getting closer to you by the day. However, in such cases, it is not the kind of distance that you can cover by walking a few miles. May be a few years.

You're probably wondering what in the blue hell the first three lines were about. Well, I will let you know that as soon as I figure it out myself. Life has picked up a lot of pace again. It has been a little under two months at my new job and even though I'm not exactly too thrilled to be writing text books for standard 6-8, I don't have any complaints for now. A very close friend and colleague of mine, Shero, quit her job a day back and I'm very sure that I'm going to miss her a lot more than I think I will. Apart from her, I have not made too many friends at my new workplace. There are a few nodding acquaintances though.

I and Sid met Farzana a week back and it felt just as great as it always does. Not to mention that she is still buried under a pile of work, responsibilities and a familiar sadness. The good part being that she no longer feels the need to get up at 3:00 in the morning and think of doing something stupid, something that she would regret and so would we. So she is doing a little better than what she was previously.

Newsflash! My brother has quit drinking indefinitely. It came as a shock to me as well. Although I'm going to miss the weekly collision of our glasses filled with rum, it is not that bad either. I mean who doesn't want a healthy brother whose liver is doing just fine or a bill at the bar that I can actually afford to pay? By the way, he cracked a bank interview in a little under two minutes and landed the job. I know what you're thinking, this is not the surprising part as we all know how brilliant he is. He tried his best to sound modest saying that the bank was just too desperate to hire him and it had virtually nothing to do with his calibre, experience or ability. I know, he has a habit of doing that very often too. The bottom line is that he has almost got the job apart from the negotiation part that is yet to happen. My guess is that he will earn a pretty penny very soon and that can mean only one thing. More expensive rum. Well...the rum is for me....he is happy with a bushel of green apples it seems.

Making her way to this blog, in her very first appearance is.....(drumroll).... Scherbatsky! An interesting character that I came across thanks to my brother around a month back or so. They met on Facebook while commenting on someone else's status on Women's Day. That's how it started (I know, you're probably thinking..."Really?"). Fast forward a few months...and we're drinking together every Saturday! Scherbatsky is...something else. Strength, poise, intelligence, good looks along with a tinge of over-confidence, which has not got the better of her yet, are the ingredients that best describe the recipe named Scherbatsky. She isn't perfect....but as I said earlier...she is something else. She has now become a good friend. Although, it would really help if she stopped throwing drinks in my face or making fun of my paunch.....or my hair...or...well...the list goes on. But...it's good to have her around.

Well...I hope you're not still trying to make sense out of the first three lines. I thought you would've got it by now. Anyway, until next time, sing along.. We're devils and black sheep, really bad eggs....drink up me 'hearties yo-ho!

1 comment: