Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What a rush...!!!!!!!

Last night was by all means, a night to remember. I'm a senior at a b-school, though i never behave like one. So last evening we hosted a freshers' party for our juniors at a nice old place at Khar west. Me and my friend Ameya were amongst the few who reached the place a tad too early. The party was supposed to kick-off by 6 at the most, while we got there by 5.30 ,which didn't turn out to be a very bad idea. The rule was that the FY's and the SY's had to enter the hall as a threesome of sorts as a combination of 2 guys and 1 gal. The host of the party was the quintessential Kenneth Fernandes, perhaps the most confident and eloquent speakers of his age, who did an amazing job throughout the evening despite not being in the pink of his health. It was a good sight all around the hall, Miss Marketing- Namrata looked hotter than ever, Anagha looked as pretty as a picture, Tripti looked more enchanting than usual, Sonam went for a shocking makeover that left us gasping for breath, Shweta looked like a chocolate cup-cake enshrouded in a dark brown dress, while Radhika looked her usual adorable self with shortened hair. The FY girls were looking ravishing too, all dressed to the nines.

Now the ones who were late for the party were made to dance to the most abominable tracks that bollywood has produced in history. 'Sarkaye leyo khatiya jada lage..!' was one of the them, so you can imagine what exactly we put the late-comers through. Some time later, after a small talk with one of my friends i noticed that my watch was no more wrapped around my wrist. While i was looking for the same in a state of panic, i heard a very familiar voice say, "I believe some gentleman has been generous enough to drop his watch..can he please come and collect it!" I then strided towards the hosting area with a look of relief on my face. It didn't last too long though. As Kenny saw me approaching, he announced that i will also 'forfeit' and shake a leg. Fortunately, it was a wordless track, far less embarrassing than the ones i had seen the others dance on. I'm darn sure i made a complete ass out of myself while i was out there for those few seconds. But i think i liked it. For the first time i looked like exactly what i am- stark raving mad. Once that was done, the ice was broken.

While the juniors were given a few games like paper dance, etc. i saw a few of my friends leaving the hall, so i followed them. There were around 8-10 of them including a very good friend of mine. They said they were going for a drink. I refused and stayed back at the party. The music rang through the hall and people, including myself, forgot the world and its worries, and started swinging to the tunes. I don't know whether what i was doing could be categorized as 'dancing' or not, but it sure was better than what seems like scaring away a bunch of pigeons around you. So we danced for one hour straight until we were soaked with sweat. Then arrived those who had went for a drink. And then all hell broke loose. I vividly remember that one of them- Vasu, actually kissed my hand and was about to propose to me. It was very touching. Then he sang a few songs on the microphone, and danced throughout the remaining hours till the very end with an unseen vigour and ecstasy. He really breathed some life into the party. Ameya had had a few shots too, much to the chagrin of his good friends, but he wasn't sloshed at all. Although he staggered a bit initially, he was back to his normal self by the end of the evening after a glass of lemon juice. He even danced a bit with Sonam, who by the way left me flabbergasted with her moves. Nikhil, a very close friend of mine, was there with me the whole time. In fact he was the only sorry soul who had to watch me dance up close. We missed Soniya a lot, a very good friend of ours. Debanjali, or Debo as we call her, captured every moment of this amazing evening on her digi-cam. I think she took around 300 plus snapshots. Harsh and Priya, two of my closest friends were also busy enjoying a cosy dance all night long. The highlight of the night was the dance by Shardul and Nisha, two of my other friends, who really burnt the dance floor for which they received the 'best dancing couple' award, much to the delight of all present who had cheered the couple on the top of their voices while they were shaking a leg.

At one point of time, i was chatting with Radhika when Sonam came and said, "Ladies room ke saamne kyon khada hai?" With a puzzled look on my face, i turned around to see myself blocking the way to that 'room'. While she went inside, i smiled to myself, retrospecting on something that happened a few years back. The ones who know me quite well will know what exactly i'm referring to. This wasn't the first time i had found myself standing outside the 'ladies room'.Then there was a slow dancing session where i just stood back and watched all those beautiful people dance. Some were couples, while some were just good friends. But they all looked absolutely wonderful while moving their feet in sync, to the rhythm of the slow, seductive music. There were two of our juniors in particular who seemed to be really enjoying each other's company throughout the party. Good for them, to say the least.

The evening then came to an end after we had our dinner which consisted of mostly Chinese dishes which i love. Although i didn't eat much, i made myself a couple of coke floats by mixing coke and a few scoops of vanilla ice-cream. It felt nice not to shell out 50 bucks for a coke float at a place which is represented by a red-haired ass clown. We took off then. Shardul, Ameya, Debo, Sonam and myself went to the University to drop the girls, despite knowing that they would be the ones who would save us from the goons, if the time comes. We took a few more snaps near the girls' hostel. Then there was a small incident where a bunch of hammered assholes were yelling at us and seemed to be in a mood to pick a fight. Ameya, not being the one to back off from such a confrontation, was about to retaliate when he was stopped by all of us, fearing the consequences. After the girls safely went to their respective hostels, we started walking towards the University gate to catch a rick. All this while i was turning back to see if we are still being followed by those idiots. Fortunately, they had went their way. Thank goodness they did, because if they hadn't, i would've done some serious damage ( to myself ).

We took a rick back home, and after a lot of complaining and cribbing, and an overuse of the 'F-word', i walked with Ameya till his building while he continued his tirade about how he could go on his own and that he was perfectly fine. The truth is, he was fine. But i just went along with him so that i know where he stays, after all i should know the location of the house where i'm going to plant a bomb in a week's time right...? I hope he isn't reading this. I walked back to my place then, while i had a conversation with Debo about the party on the phone, which took exactly 21 minutes.

I reached home when the needles of my watch, which by the way is still broken as and when i had found it, were embracing each other at 1. I collapsed on my bed after i was let in by my grandma who has trouble sleeping anyway. The night came to an end, but the memory of it will last forever. It was a good life, last night. It was a dream, last night. Now its back to reality. But i want to dream again, and soon i will. What a rush....! As far as the alcohol is concerned...the next time...even i might try some...until then....just sing along mateys... "We're devils and black sheep..... and really bad eggs...Drink up me 'earties yo-ho!"


2 comments:

  1. My last comment didnt register....it seems....now I know why you should write a novel....ur amazing at details and yet....u somehow give us the bigger picture...the late SS's legacy is under threat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cannot stop picturing u dancing like a combination of chandler and stark....after this i think ur ready to write a screenplay .....yo-ho!

    ReplyDelete