Thursday, October 30, 2008


The year that was............

The year in concern is 2006-07. It was my last year in college and also a year that saw the last of a lot of other things. A lot of people, a lot of incomplete stories, a lot of reasons to smile and a lot of life. It was a situation that i had seen coming for a long time, but when it came, it hit me like a sucker-punch. Every single year, i would say to myself, "College has to end some day, and so it will.." However, accepting the fact the way it was, wasn't even half as easy as saying it to myself. I wasn't just sad because the best time of my life had come to an end, but i was rather scared about leaving my people, my world behind and being out there all by myself, all alone.

For some reason, i felt like a child who was about to lose the grip of his fingers around the safe hands of his parents. But i knew that there were a few, who would always be there for me, come what may. And i'm happy to say that i haven't been proved wrong until now.

But still, there is a void that the past 6 years seem to have left in me. It still feels a bit weird that i was the only one who felt that way about leaving my old life, as everyone else seemed so excited about the new one that they were about to embark upon. In fact, most of them didn't even seem to care in the first place. Sometimes we are so engrossed in embracing new beginnings, that we forget to bid adieu to the old times.

I was told that i needed to get rid of this emotional baggage that i was carrying around. And i know i haven't taken that advice yet. And may be, on some level, i don't want to. I always keep saying, that the best is yet to come. But, in my heart of hearts, i know that the best is long gone. The memory of it hasn't though. And it never will. Never.

1 comment: